Spinal Manipulations & Chiropractic Care

What is spinal manipulation? What is pet chiropractic care? Is there a difference? Technically, the term ‘chiropractic’ can only be applied to humans. Thus, ‘chiropractic care’ does not technically exist within veterinary medicine. However, while the term may not technically be approved, the art of chiropractic care is alive and well within veterinary medicine. 

To get around the semantics, we often refer to chiropractic work on animals as spinal manipulation, so these terms can be considered the same.

The spine extends from the neck to the tailbone. A healthy spine is essential to a healthy and active lifestyle, whereas poor spinal health impacts the nervous system. Hundreds of muscles, ligaments, and tendons are attached to the spine, affecting performance, health, and activity. Many of our chiropractic patients are agility dogs whose owners want to keep them moving and performing well. 

Veterinary chiropractic manipulations can manage much more than back pain by affecting nerves as they leave the spinal column. Only about 10% of nerves register pain, while the remaining 90% control the body by influencing organ function, the endocrine and nervous systems, muscle strength, and many vital bodily operations.

Conditions as variable as incontinence (both urinary and fecal), gastrointestinal problems, and patellar luxations can all be effectively addressed with chiropractic manipulations.

In spinal manipulation, a subluxation (spinal structural displacement) shows up as decreased movement in the spine. The specific subluxated or fixed vertebrae are corrected with a gentle, controlled thrust, eliminating local pain and restoring nerve flow to the body.